Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Recipe for a Sunday afternoon (4-10-1996)

This one really got me. Such a simple little poem, hiding such a long slow, difficult process.
I wrote this for a recipe contest in my works newsletter.  We forget now days with the invention of spell checker how slow and painstaking it used to be to edit things.  My spelling was BAD, like holy-crap-is-English-her-second-language?-BAD.  In order for me to type this out on paper to submit it, I first wrote it, then copied it onto a clean sheet, double spaced, and then looked up each and EVERY word in my little hand held dictionary and wrote the correct spellings above the words. Anther handwritten cleaner copy, then carefully typed the poem out.  It was soul draining. It was crushing as I found words I thought were correct that were wrong.

my spelling stopped me from being a writer. It stopped me from pursuing my dreams and cultivating my talent. It changed my vocabulary. I can recall countless times wanting to use a word, but not being able to spell it, had to settle for once I could spell. Looking those words up didn't help, sometimes my spelling was so butchered I couldn't find it in the dictionary.This crazy, incredibly slow process also stopped me from submitting stuff.  Ralph Gorin, sir you are my hero. I know you didn't have me specifically in mind when you invented spell checker, but you might as well have. You changed the world, and gave millions the way to communicate clearly with others.

Recipe for a Sunday afternoon

MIX six assorted grandchildren
(they don’t have to be yours)
Into one city park.

ROLL them in thick green grass
Until hand and knees are well
Coated.

SPRINKLE with water from the
fountain and air dry on the
Swings.

Be sure to SIFT the sandbox
For shoes and socks and remove.

FILL them all to the brim with 
Banana splits and root beer floats.

BLEND in six CUPS of kisses and 
four POUNDS of hugs, and ten TSP 
of giggles.

When the TEMPERATURE cools,
STUFF into the car and go
Out for pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment